High School FAQ'S

Will my child get a diploma?

Yes. If you have met the minimum requirements set by HOPE you will be allowed to issue a diploma.

Will my child get a transcript?

You will be responsible for creating your child's transcript, and keeping it up-to-date. Currently Heather Grant (864-224-5512) is offering transcript services for a fee.

Can my child get into college using a homeschool transcript?

If you have kept your records up-to-date, the transcript you provide may be sufficient for most colleges and universities. Please check with the college admission policies of the college of your choice. Most colleges and universities readily accept homeschoolers, however, there are some exceptions. More schools are now requiring transcripts to be prepared and signed by an accountability association. Please check with the school for their requirements.

What do I teach and where can i get Curriculum?

Click here.

What do I do about a driving permit and Driver’s Ed?

Getting a Permit Please take with you the following documents:

  • The student's birth certificate - must be 15
  • The student's Social Security Card
  • Proof of residency - any recent utility bill or tax documentation
  • Proof of homeschooling - HOPE will supply this to you at the beginning of the school year. Depending on when you go to get your license, the DMV may request a more recent letter, contact us. Please allow at least 1 week notice for us to get this form for you!!
Getting a License This website will tell you everything you need to know: http://www.dmv.org/sc-south-carolina/teen-drivers.php Insurance Discounts Driver's Ed: This varies with insurance companies, but the majority of them require that you have a certified driving instructor teach your child or you may not receive the insurance credit. Don't use "Driver's Ed in a Box" Good Student Discount If your insurance company offers a good student discount, you may be able to use your semi-annual progress report as proof for this discount. Other insurance companies require a formal transcript.

What do I do about courses I don’t feel comfortable teaching?

Many publishing companies offer video courses that can be used with more difficult subjects. CHOICE offers classes for high school credit through our ETC (Co-op) Classes. High School juniors and seniors are also eligible to take college courses for credit. Online courses are also available at: Carolina Homeschooler The Potter's School

What do I need to know about grading?

High school students’ grades must be reported as numerical grades (not letter grades) for transcripts for college applications and for class ranking purposes. The SC legislature approved a Uniform Grading Scale that is used to determine the student's grade point average for all the completed high school level courses. The information can be found on the SC Dept of Education website. Calculating the GPA is fairly complex. HOPE will do this for you when you request a transcript. Seniors' GPAs for the class ranking, as well as Juniors’ GPAs for Junior Marshall’s will be calculated for those students whose grades are submitted by January 15. The South Carolina Uniform Grading Policy provides for different course levels depending on the difficulty of the work done. Courses with more difficult work may be given honors level status and will receive a higher score when converted to the uniform grading scale.

What counts towards class rank?

In calculating the GPA for class ranking, only classes considered as high school level classes and above will be included.

All students who submit grades by January 15 and June 15 in 9th – 12th grades will be included in the class ranking. If grades are not submitted on time, HOPE reserves the right to not rank your child or to list them at the bottom of the class.

For more information see the High School Ranking Policy (PDF) on the Forms page

What is an Honors (H) course?

Honors courses are advanced courses offered in the core subject areas (science, math, history, English.). The requirements for honors courses are greater than for college prep courses. Textbooks and/or other course materials must be differentiated and more rigorous than those used in college prep courses. An honors course must have a published syllabus that verifies that it is sufficiently above and beyond the college prep requirements.

Can my child graduate with honors?

Yes. In order for your child to graduate with honors he/she must meet the following requirements:

  • 3.8 grade-point average based on a 4.0 scale.
  • Test score of 1200 (SAT Verbal/Math) or 26 (ACT) or 120 (Verbal/Math – PSAT)
  • 90% on the composite battery on the IOWA, Stanford, or California achievement tests would also be accepted.
  • Five or more subjects must be Honors, Dual Credit or AP

What is an Advanced Placement (AP) course?

Advanced Placement courses are taught at college level using college level textbooks. AP courses have pre-requisites at the high school level. (For instance, to take AP Biology, a student would need to have completed high school biology and chemistry.) Home schoolers may call a course AP if they meet the requirements for that course set out on the AP website. Homeschoolers may take any AP exam - even if they have not taken an AP level course. Successful completion of an AP exam does not allow you to call the course AP. The course must meet the AP requirements.

What is Dual Credit/Dual Enrollment?

Dual Credit or Dual Enrollment courses are those taught at a local college. The student is given credit for both the high school (1 unit) and college level (typically 3 hours). Some of the local colleges which offer dual enrollment classes are Southern Wesleyan University, Tri-County Tech, Anderson University, North Greenville University and Piedmont Tech. You must supply the college with a current transcript. Some colleges require the ACT or SAT to be taken prior to acceptance, others have an entrance exam of their own (COMPASS Test). You are responsible for any fees incurred with dual enrollment. To receive proper credit on the high school transcript, please submit a copy of the college transcript. Only credit bearing courses are eligible for dual credit. Remedial courses and courses which do not list credit earned will not be accepted. If your child fails a credit college course, this will be reported on the high school transcript. Dual Credit courses receive a higher credit point than typically college prep or honors courses.

What about the PSAT and SAT?

High School students are encouraged to take the SAT or ACT exams. Many colleges require them for entrance. They are also used to determine scholarship eligibility. Home school students are not required to take end of year state exams. Some curriculum publishers offer exams for purchase for their courses. Members of HSLDA may purchase software to help prepare for the SAT at drastically reduced cost. You pay only the shipping. Click here for infomation SAT- If you are interested in registering for the SAT please contact the College Board for a registration packet. www.collegeboard.org PSAT - Please click here for more info about the PSAT.

How do I find out about scholarships?

You may find available scholarships at www.scholarship.com or checking the reference section of your local library. Homeschoolers are eligible for the Palmetto Fellows Scholarship. In order to be eligible through HOPE, you need to join HOPE by the beginning of your junior year, be ranked 1st or 2nd in the class. Palmetto Fellows Requirements For information on the LIFE and HOPE Scholarships, click here. HOPE does not allow members to join more than one accountability association! If you do this, you will be disqualified from scholarship eligibility, and will lose your membership in both CHOICE and HOPE. Here is a website to help your child prepare for college

What types of electives does my child need?

This is where you get to be creative as you build upon your child's interests and strengths. You can create a course that meets your child's needs. A 1-semester course equals about 75 physical hours. These hours can be spent reading a book on the subject, writing a report on the subject, creating a project or actual participation. Keep track of the hours spent on the activity and you have met the requirement. If you need help on what to include, check out a high school catalog with course descriptions. Here are some suggestions:

  • P.E. - any type of sports or lessons such as archery, tennis, etc.
  • Consumer Math
  • Music - Lessons, practice, theory study, choral societies
  • Foreign Language study
  • Art - Lessons, self-taught programs, videos
  • Theater - Play performances (attendance, actual participation on stage, behind the scenes)
  • Bible Studies
  • Carpentry
  • Car Repair (one credit only)
  • Computer Science
  • Civil War, Russian History, World Geography, etc.

Will my child get to participate in a graduation ceremony?

Yes! CHOICE offers an annual Graduation Ceremony, typically held the 2nd or 3rd Saturday in May.

What if my child is ready for High School credit before 9th grade?

Students in 7th and 8th grade may earn high school credit for courses in core subjects (not including Electives or PE). Typically one may be earned in 7th grade and two in 8th grade and should be transferable to another school. However, this is up to the school's discretion. They may choose not to accept your course and may require testing to determine class placement.

Can we participate in programs sponsored by the public school (sports, music, etc.)?

As of the 2012-2013 school year, home school students are eligible to participate in public school programs. Click here for information on the law. Click here for the Intent to Participate form which must be submitted to your local Superintendent

What about Testing?

Beginning with 2014-2015 school year, HOPE now requires that all students be tested. You will be required to have each of your children tested a minimum of every 3 years (recommended 3rd, 6th, and 9th grades). Once a student reaches high school, tests such as ACT, PSAT, SAT, COMPASS, etc. are acceptable. Grades are to be sent to the parent. HOPE does not require grades to be submitted unless there is a change in the law. Special needs students (dyslexic, etc.) may receive verbal assistance, and are only required to take English and Math. CHOICE will provide group testing each year, but you are free to have your child tested elsewhere.